The wonders of tea and its authentic taste have amazed people around the world. The darjeeling tea is no exception rather a wonder. It stands 6000 feet tall in the city of West Bengal contributing to the most amazing tea of all time. The aroma and the freshness of the tea leaves are simply magnificent. Tea is an amazing source of refreshment especially when you are tired and had a bad day. The profoundly grown tea leaves contribute to the amazing taste, aroma, and flavor of the tea. The Darjeeling tea garden is located in West Bengal and looks as beautiful and tranquil as the Zen gardens. If you see it in a clear spring morning you can see the lush green hills located on the Nepal and India borders located in Kanchenjunga Mountain. The leaves are freshly picked and they reach the factory on destined time. The workers make no compromise with the quality as they are professional in the work they do. The intense hard work of these people yields you the most amazing tea of all time. However, there is a complete set of the procedure involved in arriving at the final step. The scientific name of the special quality tea leaves is Camellia Sinensis found extensively in the north-eastern parts of India.
Due to the geographical nature of the north-eastern parts of India, you can find the camellia plant that is used in making the most amazing tea. Around hundreds of years ago, it was used as medicine by the local people. The colonial system introduced the tea culture in the parts following and the country. British never had had enough of the tea even after winning victory over china in the 1892 opium war. A trader imbalance resulted due to this. The state Assam of the country holds the trademark for the assamica plant. The Sinensis seeds of Darjeeling were imported from China in the 1830s back then. China used to hold expertise in tea cultivation at that time and hence kept it as a secret. The British never failed to explore the tea culture and kept on experimenting with it.
Benefits of Darjeeling tea
There are huge benefits of darjeeling tea some of which are shocking and marvelous. It is generally known that tea keeps the mind fresh and sways away sleep when you need to work the most. But some hidden benefits are still hidden. Darjeeling tea contributes positively to health in several ways over other tea. As per the experiment conducted by the journal of food science, Darjeeling organic tea stood up highest in terms of health benefits and a high level of catechins. It is also known to prevent some of the dreadful diseases like cancer and more. Tea has always been an old beverage and mostly the only beverage that contributes to certain health benefits. Below is a list of health benefits of darjeeling tea.
- Antioxidants-The Darjeeling tea is blessed with antioxidants like catechins that fight diseases. They are also known to detoxify the cell that damages the free radicals. It might also result in a slow aging rate.
- Healthy heart-The flavonoids keep the heart healthy and hence reduces blood clots and heart attacks. It has no calories and hence reduced risk for the heart.
- Keeps the mouth fresh-It also helps in fighting the bad bacteria in your mouth and keeping them away. Some of the bacteria cause step and sore throats. The yea can be effective in keeping such bacteria away. Green is more effective when it comes to fighting the bacteria. It also prevents plaque formation and destroys the germs that do so.
- Lowers the blood pressure-Hypertension, cholesterol, and heart disease are all connected and the most common issue in all people. Having darjeeling tea can put it in control and hence keep the risk of cholesterol issues at bay.
- Prevents breast cancer-It is the most common form of cancer in women. Having this amazing tea can help prevent this as well. As per the records and survey women who drink this tea regularly are safer than those who do not.
Caffeine in Darjeeling Tea
Before understanding the amount of caffeine in Darjeeling tea you must know what caffeine is and what it does. It is an organic compound present in plants. It forms the group named alkaloids which contains morphine and other compounds. They have both harmful and beneficial factors when it comes to the human body. It is odorless but tastes bitter. It is found in tea, coffee and other similar beverages.
- The darjeeling tea is almost like a caffeine free tea. Though some unknown brands of tea might still contain more caffeine, Darjeeling tea has it in an appropriate amount.
- It is important to consider the factors that determine the caffeine presence and its level in a beverage. Some of the green tea can have a good proportion of beverage. Caffeine is usually concentrated in tea leaf buds which make the white tea full of caffeine as it is made of buds.
- Caffeine intolerance also varies from person to person. People who are sensitive to it can become anxious after having it. Some people feel relieved after having it. People who regularly drink caffeine are less sensitive to it.
- Caffeine is not a good option for pregnant women as it raises the blood pressure and cholesterol level when consumed in excess amounts. Also, it is important that pregnant women don’t feel dehydrated and must keep on consuming liquids.
The Taste of the Darjeeling Tea
With its marvelous taste, darjeeling tea simply melts like magic in your mouth. There are several reasons why you should taste it. It is often referred to as the champagne of all the teas. It is even priced higher due to the same. It often resembles the wine in terms of its amazing taste. It has the musky sweet kind of taste quite different from the other brands. Since the tea leaves in Darjeeling are of camellia small plants it adds authenticity to the taste. The flavor is also a result of the Chinese genes that is mixed in the Indian territories.
- The Darjeeling teas are oxidized lesser as compared to the black teas. They are more complex and layers than the green teas however lighter than the black teas.
- Sometimes the Darjeeling teas from the same plantations taste different. It is due to the difference in the harvesting time. These are termed as flushes which mean periodic harvests.
- The first and last harvest or the entire duration contains the general flavored robust taste of the tea. The first flush is hybrid as it uses the small leaves of the plants yielding a better taste.
- In the first flush, you can even experience the mountain favored and delicate aroma of the hills. It is the best in terms of sweet, fragrance and texture. It is difficult to find the perfect tea today and hence darjeeling tea is a must-try.
Darjeeling Loose Black Tea
To experience the authentic taste of the Darjeeling tea you can buy the loose black tea of the same. You can then cook the tea in your way as the leaves are sufficient to create the magical aroma in the tea. There are several variants of the Darjeeling tea ranging from white tea to black tea. The cold weather of Darjeeling is best suited for the cultivation of these plants. The white has an amazing brew and a pale golden color whereas the black tea leaves are generally grown in the first flush and have a light orange color. Not all the Darjeeling gardens can be used for growing the black tea. The second flush of the Darjeeling plantations is more widely accepted throughout the world. It is best suited for the growth of black tea also known as oolong of the Darjeeling. 5 to 20 degrees temperature is ideal for the same.
Know How to Brew Darjeeling Tea
You must know the correct procedure of brewing the tea. Even though the tea leaves are of top quality the correct procedure of brewing them must be known. What also plays an important role in the purchase of the correct Darjeeling tea. You must always purchase it from some authentic company so to avoid any frauds. It is quite possible for you to not get satisfied even after buying the original darjeeling tea due to the incorrect brewing process. Below is a list of steps that must be followed while brewing the tea.
- Avoid using tap water-Soft water is essential for brewing the Darjeeling tea. The water should not contain salt, iron, and chlorine. A modern water purifier would be a better option for brewing the tea.
- Store tea leaves properly-A proper storage of tea leaves plays an important role. If not stored properly it can result in a different taste. They must be stored in an airtight container made of aluminum.
- Ensure correct steeping time-Steeping time is important to make an excellent tea. The steeping time also varies as per the leaves you are using. It depends on the type of liquid you need and hence the leaves in it.
- Avoid adding sugar and milk-To enjoy the magical taste of the darjeeling tea do not add sugar or milk in it. You can add lemon juice to make it authentic.
- Use infuser-Try to use the infuser when mixing ingredients after boiling water. All you need to do is put the leaves in the infuser within the boiling water. Steep it for 3 to 5 minutes and your tea is ready. Enjoy it in any weather.
Darjeeling Tea Flushes
- Darjeeling tea is one of the very teas with a certification of origin. A very little or no polishing is done in the selling of this tea. Using this polishing policy a huge amount of Darjeeling tea is sold even more than what is produced in the fields by farmers. More than 51% of the leaves for tea are taken from Darjeeling.
- The places where it is exported the blenders can make an amazing tea due to the huge quantity of Darjeeling leaves. Any tea of any style from the region is given the labeling of darjeeling tea. The varieties of white, oolong and black tea types form a wide range of Darjeeling tea features. There are four harvests sequentially when you talk about the Darjeeling tea.
- Some leaves are from the china stock as it has been the earliest origin since British times. Either the seeds are taken from china and relocated here in Darjeeling or the leaves are directly taken from china.
- Generally, the early days of April comprise of the first flush of the Darjeeling tea harvest. It is the time when the temperature begins to rise and new buds flourish.
- Just three weeks later the second flush season starts. Here the bushes need to go through another round of plucking. The amazing features comprise of the juicy, musky and fruity tea of Darjeeling which makes it unique from other tea plants.
- The procedures for the flushes are the same though the timings vary. The month of June experiences monsoon and this is when the monsoon flush Darjeeling tea is grown.
- This marks the arrival of new growth which is fast and efficient. Teabags and blending can be performed using this. There is even the autumnal flush Darjeeling tea.
Storing tea is also important failing which you might have to compromise on the taste. You might also notice the changes in the brew from time to time. When you are at home you can store them packed in some aluminum foil at light heat and temperature. It must be stored in a cool and dry place away from any strong odor. If you haven’t tried the Darjeeling tea yet you need to do so early and experience the authentic taste that you might probably miss out on. So try today and avail the benefits of the amazing darjeeling tea.